Sunday 26 July 2015

Our Summer Bucket List - ice dinosaur eggs

Tommy has been obsessed with dinosaurs ever since I can remember, so when I stumbled upon this activity a while ago, I knew we just had to try it. It's an activity that's perfect for doing in the garden on a hot summer's day so it was definitely going to be featuring in our Summer bucket list. It doesn't have to be done with dinosaurs - mini toy cars, small figurines, numbers, letters - whatever you like - can be encased in ice.

To make these eggs, I carefully inserted each dinosaur into an ordinary balloon. I thought water balloons would work best for this but I couldn't get it to work. Water balloons were just far too thin and ripped easily when I tried to insert the dinosaurs. Ordinary balloons were much stronger and didn't rip or puncture. Once the dinosaur was fully inside the balloon, I filled it with water, tied a knot in the end and out it in the freezer overnight. When we were ready to do the activity, I cut the balloons away from the ice and placed them all in a box.




I provided Tommy with chisels and hammers to help break the ice and pipettes and squeezy bottles and a bowl of warm water. He then set to work trying to free each dinosaur from their ice egg. He wore some safety goggles to do this (well swimming goggles actually, but they protected his eyes as he worked nevertheless!)








I was surprised at just how long Tommy sustained concentration during this activity. The good thing about it is that it WILL take them ages to free their items so they will be occupied for quite a while and you can just leave them too it. We'll be sure to repeat this activity again, perhaps with some small figurines. I can only hope it will be as big a hit as it was when we did it the other day!

No comments:

Post a Comment